Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

2.25.2006

Mac OSX 10.4.4 Successfuly in my home PC but ....

Last night I successfully installed Mac OSX 10.4.4 (Prepatched), and had the following founding along the way:

- PS/2 keyboard was not working at first. And even more fustrating was that the USB keyboard was NOT working neither. After being fustrated for a while, I found the solution at this page. But then, the challenge became how I could type without a keyboard. Luckily the USB mouse was still working, so I followed the instruction of this page to bring up the on-screen keyboard. Next I need to find an editor that allows me to change file in the protected area, so I donwloaded TextWangler and then follow the following instruction:

Adding these two lines at the end of the file "/etc/rc", just before "exit 0"
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

The file was shown as in /private/etc/rc but that's alright.
The tricky is to use the damn on-screen keyboard to type the whole thing and make sure the captical letters were entered correctly.

Eventually I made it and have the PS2 keyboard working now.


- Build in Network and network card not working. This is the most fustrating part, and I am looking forward to work on it.

- My ASUS (Nvidia) GeForce FX 5200 does not support QE + CI (lame VESA 3.0 driver), so machine doesn't support those fancy Screen Saver Flurry effect. It also stays in 1024 x 768. I heard that the higher resolution will work if I modify the "com.apple.boot.plist", but I still need to figure out what the heck it is.

- Audio is working for AC97 internal sound card but only on the Lineout, and that means I have to find another speaker to plug to the line out port since I already have my speaker connected to the headphone out of my PC. The Firewire M-Audio Solo was recognized but does not work, but then it won't cause the AC97 to stop working. So I'll just leave it there.


For more detail about all these hardware compatibility, go to OSX86 site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home