Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

2.17.2006

Using Macintosh in a Windows world, 2006 real life edition

It's a funny feeling to use a Macintosh (MacOSX 10.4.3 for Intel) on a Windows network environment, but that's what I am doing now. This is my second day of using this Mac on PC (DELL Optiplex GX280), here's my founding:

- There IS a way to use remote desktop to connect to another Windows machine! This is a big plus to me since I need to support Windows web servers. You can download the tool for free at this site. However, this version seems to be age old and as usaully Microsoft has negative incentive to update this (shit!). The following are some downsides:
* Only support 16 colors!
* Can only connect to server machines like Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Yes, I know that the readme file says that I CAN connect to Windows XP, but I was not able to make it work so far.
* Only 640 x 480 resolution.

I have to say that it's better than none, though.


- Sharing Files is also ultra easy. Just go to System Preference, open the Sharing applet, and select Windows Sharing. You need to turn on the Windows Sharing, and assign an account. I was surprise that the user name can have space between it. Pretty awesome.

- Setting Network Printer
This is also ultra easy. Go to "Print & Fax" System Perferences, click "+" button. In my case, mine is a IP Printer, so I choose the IP Printer button, select "Line Printer Daemon - LPD" as the protocol, enter the IP address in the "Address" item. And that's it. Oh, remember to set the default page size to "A4".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home