Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

2.09.2006

Continue using my crappy 20Gb harddisk

My 20Gb portable harddisk was serving me few quite some time ever since I yanked it out from my Compaq Presario 1720 US harddisk. Probably because of being used a portable harddisk with a lot of connect-discounnect-and-connec-again, the harddisk gain some bad sector. In order to regain as much usable space from the harddisk as possible, I have to create partitions that skipped over the bad sector part. Since I have no simply way to know where the bad sector is (notice that I said easy way, which rules out those crazy sophsticate harddisk tools like SpanRite 6 or such), I use the Disk Management feature of Windows XP (under Computer Management console) to create partition. If the tool got stuck during the formatting partition, I simple stop the formating and create a partition that avoids the problem part. I continue doing that until I have a partition that formats at normal speed and complete within reasonable amount of time (say 10 minutes). Now I have 5.8 Gb, and then 2.44G of dead zone, and then 6.06Gb, and then 1.5Gb of deadzone, and finally 2.77Gb. Let me see how longer I can continue using this harddisk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home