Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.08.2004

No hurry for Nintendo DS

I saw Nintendo DS yesterday. Not exactly the machine in action, but enough to get a little bit hyped. The price is also reasonable: $1250, or $880 if I trade-in my GBA SP. But I decided NOT to jump in now for the following reason:

- Cannot trade in the GBA SP yet
Stupid Nintendo killed off the Ext.1 port that I needed to upload games to my backup card. That means I always have to keep GBA SP around in order to load game to the backup card. One reason for acting now is to take advantage of the trade-in, but if I cannot trade in anyway, why hurry?

- Enough games on GBA SP to get me very excited
A lot of game I didn't get a chance to fully enough on the GBA SP yet. If I get DS, I know won't touch those GBA SP games. And the enjoyment from a SP game is probably the same as a good DS game. So why not wait until I complete all the fun on SP first. Again, no particular disadvantage for waiting on this issue.

- More toy, more trouble
I definitely will buy the SuperCard (see my previous blog), and MAYBE even a Memory Stick Pro Duo. Usually more gadget means more time being wasted on getting those gadgets right, and I need time to prepare for the beginning of my new job coming next week or so. So I really don't have time for DS.

- Less incentive to create Flash game for NX70V
One big incentive (and still is) for me to create tiny app for NX70V on Flash format is to mimic the fun of DS. If I ALREADY has Flash, then natural instinct will drive me to spend more time on playing DS instead of writing Flash game on NX70V because, dude, I am a lazy ass and I always go for the instant reward route. Thus I need to do things to PROHIBIT me from wasting time.

- No backup card and no emulator for DS yet
Yeah, I know..... But I always buy stuff before trying it first. But ... yeah this really is not an excuse, as I know rule of buying games for GameBoy devices: ONLY BUY the Nintendo made games:-D


Great, there's enough reason to not getting Nintendo DS now. But damn that toy is cool. I will get it one day, just like.... hmmm.... I will get a Nintendo GameCube one day :-P (Heck, by that time there may be an emulator on PC for GameCube already!)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home