Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

9.06.2004

Never realized that using InDesign to process Chinese can come across such obstacles.

I heard that Adobe was trying to establish InDesign as the desktop publishing standard and challenge the dominance of Quark Express, and so far it was doing pretty well. Based on a white paper I found form the Adobe web site, InDesign is capable to handle Chinese, but in order to take advantage of all the Chinese specific alignment and paragraph setting, a plug called InChinese need to be used.

So I found InDesign 2.0 (with 2 update files to update the app to 2.02) from my library and grabbed InChinese 2.51 form Overnet. As I figured out later, InChinese 2.51 ONLY works with InDesign 2.0.1, and it will actually failed to install on any version of InDesign other than InDesign 2.0.1, including 2.0.2. But this is not the most troublesome part. To me, the biggest annoying factor was that InChinese turned all menus into Chinese, which is something I hate. I only need to Chinese process capability, and not the Chinese menu. The plug-in also has problem rendering Chinese font name properly on font menu, which is a bad sign.

Fortunately, I have it installed on a VMWare OS, so at least my working OS was not being messed up, but I was being discouraged indeed. Maybe I��ll come back to this application later to see if there��s any way I can tweak to get rid of the Chinese menu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home