Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

9.01.2004

Man my stomach was like hell last night. I went restroom 3 times, and each time it got more painful as I have less to excrete. This morning I had to go to restroom again, and after this round, my stomach was totally empty, and finally my stomach let me go and call a quit to restroom trip.

Sigh, and I wonder what I ate wrong last night. It was definitely not the dinner since I ate it before the Praise Team A band practice, and I was totally fine. So it seems like I can only blame the Vitasoy with the dry Mango fruit that I ate. But the mystery still hasn't completely resolved. Was it the Vitasoy that cause by stomach ache, or the dry mango fruit, or the combination. One thing for sure is that I need to stay away from both of these at least for a while.

My GameBoy Advance is my best partner in the restroom. We spent countless hours together having a lot of good time. And even when I gradually shy away from playing video game with a guilty of spending time at home playing game instead of learning graphic design software package, I have no problem continue playing GameBoy. After all, I play it only when I have problem doing other stuff, like when I was in the restroom. Besides, it's just a few minutes of fun. Playing console game is a different story, though. Once you get sucked in, especially when you are playing RPG, you can spend hours after hours in front of the console.

Somehow I am more conscious about utilizing my time more effectively now that I am jobless. This especially true after I turned down a 3 month contract offer from my old boss. The reason of turning down the offer was for having more time to focus on my study on Graphic design tools and the dance drama on Oct 18. And if you understand economy, you understand the concept of opportunity cost. Opportunity cost of doing something is the cost of giving up not doing the other things that you can do. So the cost of staying the 3 graphic design software package and the dance drama is the cost of my 3 months salary. Now even though that's not a hefty amount of money, it's still something. Plus I still have to pay the household expense to my mom. So I totally realize how expansive it is to do what I am doing now.

That said, I am totally NOT regretting with my decision. What I am doing now has a lot of long term effect of my career, as I see the IT industry continue shrink, I need to branch out my talent to something that I can uniquely offer to my market. Time will tell whether I made the right decision, but in order to have a life that I enjoy by making a living from something I do well, this is an approach that I don't think I can avoid.

That doesn't mean I am turning my back from being an IT person. IN fact, I am spend time figuring out how to set up a web portal called Dot Net Nuke which seems to be a good Open Source tool to implement a portal. I am still into technology, it's just that choosing between the contract work with nothing to learn and a opportunity to broaden my graphic design skill set, I chose the late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home