Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

8.24.2004

It��s hard to keep up with all the new technology. For instance, last night was my first time of trying out WiFi (Wireless Network) in person, and it was pretty cool.


I brought a 3COM 802.11b wireless LAN card from my friend (thanks, Tommy) last night, and the card worked instantly with requiring any driver on Windows XP. This is totally plug-n-play, which was cool enough by itself. And then it instantly discovered my elder brother��s wireless LAN. Because my brother left his network unprotected (actually a very bad idea :-S), I can get on his network and access Internet right away. Reading CNN news on my bed without any wire was a pretty cool experience. And YES, cnn.com was the first web site that I accessed, and not some Hollywood or some HK entertainment gossip sites :-E .

However, for a foreseeable future, I still won��t buy a WiFi card and a WiFi Router. First, I cannot justify paying $700 ($250 for the WiFi card and $450 for the WiFi Router) just for being cool. I mean, I don��t leave my room very often, and then two spots that I will stay in my room are my desk and my bed. I don��t see a need to surf the web on bed when my desk is just a few feet away. Also, my brother��s WiFi LAN is not always on. He turns it on only when he needs to use his laptop. So I HAVE to buy a WiFi router for my own Internet access in order to enjoy WiFi, unlike what I originally planned (buy the card only). Finally, I rarely bring my laptop outside of my room, not to mention very unlikely to bring to away from home. So the need for me to access WiFi at coffee shops or public hotspot is very low.

It��s cool to have WiFi on my laptop, but I just cannot justify the cost. I will, on the other hand, definitely set up a WiFi network when I get back to US. The distance between my desk and my living room will be much future away.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home