Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.24.2008

Running a Server on VMWare

I always want to expose my home machine in some way so that I can access files on my home machine, or turn my machine into a Subversion server, or something like that. But security issue already hold me back. Now I finally get time and trying to do it right.

So first I need to assign a static IP address to the Windows Server 2003 running on VMWare, so that when I expose the IP and port through the firewall, I don't have to worry about the DHCP assignment another IP to the server, and thus messing up the firewall setting. So here's what I did:

  • Select [Setup] tab, [Basic Setup] tab, [Static DHCP] button. Here you can specify what IP address you want to staticly map to what MAC address.

  • Hint: you can find out the Mac address by going to the Network Control Panel applet, select [Support] tabm Click [Details...] button, and found Physcial Address (which is the Mac address).

  • Not that my machine is alway sa certain specific IP address, I can expose the port I want to expose by Select [Applications Gaming], it should take you to the default tab [Single Port Forwarding], and fill up proper information.

  • Finally, and to me most important, I want to make suer that the server has NO NetBIOS access to my local area network. I use ZoneAlarm running on my VMWare Hosting computer to accomplish this:
    • Under "Firewall" , click Main tab, set Internet Zone Security to Med.
    • Under "Firewall", click Zones tab, Make sure that the VMWare Server's IP is NOT in trust zone. Then set up an entry just for the Server on VM, and set the Zone to Internet Zone. Now the server should be able to do Net stuff, but not the NetBIOS thing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home