Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.02.2007

Review: Software to convert video for iPod

I tried several applications that converts video and/or DVD to iPod video format (mp4).

First I tried Apollo DVD to iPod 2.0, and it wasn't good at all. I also tried the 3.x version and it's not any better. I reviewed 2.0 simply because this is the one that doesn't have obvious audio out of sync problem. This application successfully recognize the DVD I inserted in my PC and got some fairly OK result. Still this software has way too many problems that keeps me from continue using it:
  • Processing speed is dog slow.
  • Cumbersome user interface.
  • Mess up video aspect ratio.
Next I tried Xilisoft Video Converter 3.1.4.8. This one does not recognize DVD disc, instead it converts video files into various formats. I was very impressed by the Zoom feature which allows you to utilize the 320 x 200 iPod screen as much as possible by zomming into the center of the movie (using Pan and Scan option) in case you feed the application a 16:9 movie. However I was very disappointed after realizing that it has audio sync problem with almost ALL the movies that feed to it. It also has serious problem if you try to convert only a segment of the movie, which results in a something totally messed up (audio totally out of sync, and the video plays in half speed). And I tried regular letterbox size, and then various file format like divx and Mpeg, and they all have audio out of sync problem.

And this application is NOT portable friendly.


Next I tried Allok 3GP PSP MP4 iPod Video Converter. It does a fair job and does not have audio sync problem, but the video aspect ratio was a bit messed up. Also it doesn't provide that zoom feautre, this a 16:9 video conversion will result in quite some black space on the iPod screen. By the way, this application is portable friendly.

Now here comes the application that worked for me.

[DVD -> iPod Video]
First it's Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum. Unlike the Xilisoft video converter, this one does NOT have audio sync problem. It recognize all the DVDs that I throw at it, understand Chapter and allows you to rip individual chapter, which is great for ripping music video DVD for my iPod. However, you do need to pay attention that everytime you process a DVD, you should clear the chapter list screen, or else the application may confuse the application. But overall, it's an awesome one stop shop for turning DVD into iPod videos. In addition, this application is portable friendly.

[Divx, MPEG .. Video -> iPod Video]
WinAVI Video Converter iPod/PSP/3GP/MP4 is still the best among all. it does not have audio sync problem, fast processing performance, very nice video picture quality and reasonably simple to use. I am a bit disappointed by the fact that it does not have the Pan and Scan feature to optimize the use of iPod screen, but other than that the application seems pretty solid. In addition, it's very portable friendly. So until I find another app that does not have audio sync problem and have zoom in feature, I will stick with WinAVI.