Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

11.28.2007

WiFi hell on my Lenovo X60

It started when I was trying out the new TrendNet USB WiFi network adapter and WiFi Router in the office.

I used my Lenovo X60T as the client work station. I plugged in the USB adapter, got the driver from Windows Update, setup WPA setting (PSK, TKIP with complex passphrase). And it all worked out fine.

Hell happened after I unplugged the USB network and try to use the onboard WiFi card. I use the ThinkAdvange Access Connection icon at system tray to try to establish the connection with my TrendNet router, and it keeps failing. In fact I tried do away WPA and use WEP, and still failed. It only after I dropped all security that the connection was estalished. And yet then connection is estalished AFTER I close the ThinkAdvantaqge Access frontend.

I also realized that the WEP and WPA key that I entered was NEVER saved. So I started to wonder if there's something wrong.

Then I found that the ThinkAdvantage Access screen has an option to set the WiFi connection to use "Windows WiFi Settting". I picked that.

And then I stmbled across the Vista instrisic network access icon on system tray. So I opened it. And that's when I realize that Vista has it's own way of managing WiFi. In fact, I use that to setup the network connection, including all the WPA key and setting, and they WERE SAVED. And after then I got my WiFi running OK.

So ***k the ThinkAdvantage. Be sure to use the Vista way of managing WiFi by:

  • Right click on the network icon on the system tray.
  • Select "Network and Sharing Center"
  • At the Tasks panel on the right side, select "Manage Wireless networks"
  • Here you can create, modify and do whatever you want on your various WiFi connection setting.