Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.16.2007

Blue screen of death mystery solved in a very twisted way

Remember days ago I mentioned that I suspected the blue screen of death I experienced had something to do with the M-Audio Firewire Solo? Well I guess I proved it today while I was unplugged the Firewire cable from the desktop. The machine was suddenly freeze and I saw the exact same blue screen of death message that I'd seen in the last 2 days.

To think about it, besides the crash during bootup, everything I got the crash I was always playing some video or audio with audio came through the Firewire Solo, so it really explained the problem I've seen. In addition, after the crash, the MAudio Firewire Solo was not recognized by the desktop, and, uninterestingly, I haven't seen the blue screen of death since then.

And I was always find it anonying that whenever the device was plugged between different OS (Mac OSX, Vista and WinXP) the device will instantly demanded and started some strange firmware update. And on the top of that, the Firewire Solo driver for Vista is still in beta.

Hopefully this ends the BSOD saga of my desktop for now.

P.S. I just conencted Firewire Solo to my laptop. Works like a champ, but I still think it's a bad idea to use it while switch between XP and Vista.