Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.15.2007

Remote Control my desktop from my Tablet PC

Here's my assignment to myself yesterday: find a way so that I can control my desktop PC my a Tablet PC. When I say "control", I mean sending mouse and keyboard event from my Tablet to my desktop.

The reason I had that need was because I was ... errr .. lazy. I want to watch video on my bed and I am too lazy to walk off the bed, change video setting, walk back to my bed again, and continue watching. So I told myself: "may be there's some open source software that allows me to remotely send keystroke and mouse movement from my Tablet PC to my desktop. Well, I found it.

The software is called Synergy, and it's basically a virtual KVM. Once the service on the client and server started, you can use the keyboard and mouse of one machine to control another machine.

The concept sounds simply, but when I execute it, it was not as straight forward as I thought I was. But eventually I made it working. Another good thing about synergy is that it's portable friendly. All I need to do is running Synergy.exe from the application folder in all the machiens involved and that's it.

In my setup, during the Synergy session, both my desktop and my tablet PC will share my Tablet PC's keyboard and mouse (Tracepoint of my ThinkPad to be exact). I can temperorily stop the session my using some hotkey.

So now that I establish my premise, let's start setting up:

On my Tablet PC:
  • I ran Synergy. I check the radio button "Share this computer's keyboard and mouse (server)".
  • Click the [Configure ...] button. And the top part of the window you will see a listbox named "Screens". Click [+] button, to bring up a "Add Screen" dialog, and enter the machine name of my tablet PC. Click [OK] to confirm. Now I have the machine name of the Tablet PC in the listbox, but that's not good enough since you need both the machine name of your laptop and the machine name of your DESKTOP to be on the list too. So do the similar setup sequence for the desktop. You should now have 2 items in the listbox, one for your server machine and one for the machine you want to control.
  • Under Options section, click [Advanced..], and in the textbox for Screen Name, enter the machine name of the Tablet PC.
  • Under Options section, click [HotKeys ..], and you will see a hotkey set up screen. I will use this screen to set up two hotkeys so that I can switch between control my Tablet using my Tablet keyboard, or control my desktop PC using my Tablet keyboard. To add a key, click [+] at the left column and then press a key. To set up the associated function, click [+] at the right column, select radio button "Switch To Screen", and then select the screen you want to switch to. Remember the two machine name you entered in the first step? This is where those name got pull form. I picked ALT-1 for tablet and ALT-2 for my desktop.
On my Desktop PC:
  • check the radio button "Use another computer's shared keyboard and mouse (client)". Enter the machine name of the controller (TAblet PC in our case) machine name.
  • Under Options section, click [Advanced..], and in the textbox for Screen Name, enter the machine name of the desktop PC.
OK, now both machine are setup. The final step is to press the START button of each of the Synergy client.

Now when I press ALT-2 on my Tablet, I will start controlling my desktop using both the Tablet and the keyboard. Pressing ALT-1, and I can back to controlling my tablet. Pretty awesome.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zaxxon said...

I've done the same thing with my work desktop at school and my tablet. Since I'm a teacher, I wanted to be able to wander around the room yet still control the computer. I'm using the Microsoft app "Remote Desktop" to do it. Things have worked well for me, but was curious about your thoughts. My gmail is zacprowell@gmail.com Take care,

Zach

4:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the well-priced IT automation tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central patch management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

7:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]anton wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter wetterzentrale[b][/url]

7:16 PM

 
Anonymous Braintiller said...

In-built remote desktop solutions, though cost-effective and easy-to-use, may not allow for a comprehensive remote access. Specialized remote desktop solutions such as RHUB appliance are more preferable; they are easy to install, convenient to use, fast in operation, allow for greater remote control with advanced features.

8:11 PM

 
Anonymous Tablet PC keyboards said...

That's sounds something creative. I am wondering that why didn't I tried it?? I am going to try it out for sure because it sounds really interesting concept. I"ll get back to you if I find any problem in it.

2:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here deecay.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Recent Scientific Research displays that about 80% of all U.S. adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

1:51 AM

 
Anonymous Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

3:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home