Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.14.2007

A reason NOT to buy Toshiba laptop

I spent a night and a morning trying to recover a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop from not able to boot up the Windows XP OS. And throughout the process I recognized a few things:


* There is NO option to bootup Flash drive on Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop. Great, one big reason not to buy Toshiba laptop.

* I found out a big shortcoming of BartPE bootup disc: it doesn't support Traditional Chinese file name. There are BartPE plugin that might potentially fix the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

* When asked whether to replace the newer files with the older file during the Windows XP recovery process, I made the decision of replacing the old because I was worrying that keeping the new files will keep the machine continue not bootup-able. When eventually the machine was booted up, all the application program settings were gone. If it's my machine, I won't go for that route, and instead simply reformat the whole machine.