Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.06.2007

Fun with Bluetooth 2: Joining Personal Area Network

I found out how to create a Personal Area Network with my Pocket PC:

- On Windows Tray, right click on the Bluetooth button, and select "Joining a Personal Area Network" menu item.
- Select the device by clicking the icon of your PPC.
- A messagebox will indicate that the connection is established, and the messagbox will disapper.
- On the PocketPC, you can check the connection by going to the Active Connections tab of the Bluetooth Manager screen. You can see the icon of your computer showing up on the screen. In fact, you can tap on it and see the connection, and check the connection strength. NOTICE that the PC machine icon will be showing up on the "Incoming Connections" side (lower of the screen)
- After the connection established:
* I can browse the web sites hosting on your PC from your Pocket PC.
* I CANNOT you my PocketPC to remote desktop to my desktop PC. Maybe the bandwidth is to huge for Bluetooth to handle. (At first I couldn't even get to the "Connecting to:" screen since my PPC was using my office proxy setting. So I click a link, fixed the proxy, and then I could see the "Connecting to" screen. But eventually the connection failed.)


Tidbits:
- You will see a Bluetooth Ethernet adapter being established. You can ping the IP of your pocket PC and the IP of desktop machine.
- If I turned off the PocketPC, the pinging will be failed for both pinging the pocket PC and the PC (since the virtual adapter was cancelled). Even if you turn on your PPC after a successfuly linkup, you need to re-establish the connection again. Notice that the whole process of getting an IP will take like 20 seocnds. So be patient.


When you are already in a PAN established by the PC (and connected to the PPC), the "Join a personal network" on your PPC doesn't make sense since it's ALREADY JOINED to a network.
On the otherwise, when the connection was NOT connected, you can use your PPC as the host and establish a PAN by go to the BlueTooth Manager screen on your PPC, select [New], select "Join a personal network", then select radio button "Host a personal network". Then you will have a screen of device(s) you want to with. You can have mutiple devices connected to your PPC. When done simple close the screen.
You can verify the setting by Checking [Active Connections] tab, and this time you will see the PC machine icon. NOTICE that the PC machine icon will be showing up on the "Outgoing Connections" side (upper of the screen).
- After the connection established:
* I can browse the web sites hosting on your PC from your Pocket PC.
* I CANNOT use my PocketPC to remote desktop to my desktop PC. Maybe the bandwidth needed for sustain a Remote Desktop connection is too much for Bluetooth to handle.