Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

10.30.2005

Back to Linux, and boy it is a joy ride!

During my process of setting up dual boot (or in my case, triple boot) so that I can use both Windows XP and Mac OS X on my Pentium 4 Intel box, I also installed Linux on my machine as I need to use the Linux boot manager to let me multiple boot my machine. And boy this bring me back again into the Linux world. I tried embracing Linux into my life couple of time but never work. This time, however, maybe finally working.

The OS that I installed is CentOS 4.2, and it is a very solid installation. I had only one problem during the installation and that was my fault (setting the resolution high than 1280 x 1024 and thus not able to see the screen and got a "out of range" message on my monitor). It recognized quite a lot of my hardware stuff. I was particularly impressed that it recognized the flash memory card that I put in my card reader. This is very important since one of the previous obstacle of me using the Linux environment was that I cannot find a good mean to move important (data files) to and from the Linux world. Now at least I have these flash memory cards as velchile.

I also need to get used to the idea that whenever user log in a Linux box, the account usually does not have admin user right. For instance, while I am in the process of setting up the MacOSX boot partition, I need to run fdisk. The command is NOT available if I login as regular user. I have to login as root, open Terminal, and then in command prompt excute the line "fdisk /dev/hdd", then I set "a" "1" and then "a" "2", and the type x to save the changes.

IT will still take me a while to get used to Linux, but at least now the incentive is bigger than ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home