Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.10.2004

My mini Review on SuperCard (CF to GBA Adapter)

I finally brought a SuperCard (CF to GBA adapter) for HK$330. For the price, this gadget does a pretty nice job on what it was created for, although there are some pitfalls that I need to get around in order to make things work.

The biggest headache was that the latest firmware (1.40) is NOT compatible with the Media Player! If you installed both the latest Media player and firmware 1.40 in your SuperCard, you will get a BLANK screen when you run the media player. You have to use the firmware (1.31). And no, the older firmware like 2.1x doesn't work neither.

The GameBoy (B/W) and PC Engine emulation is done by software, and the speed is far from perfect. It does, though, allow me to play Donkey Kong the GB version, and even support Save and Load game instance.

The video playback is also not too good. In fact, using the highest quality to compress the movie is waste of flash card memory space before the machine cannot keep up the high quality of the video. It makes more sense the compress using Normal quality. Same for the music compression. The bottom line is that the video playback thing is basically just a gimmick. Nevertheless, it's kind of interest to see my GBA SP playing some video on it.

However, I buy this toy mainly for the instant save, and that was very well delivered by the system :-> . Because of the instant save, I successfully passed a spot in Mario and Luggi that I was stuck for a long long time. This is a great feature for lazy bump like me :->

Over all I think this toy worth the price. Oh, and it works for Nintendo DS too (as long as you are willing to cut off a bit of the plastic form the case). Pretty sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home