Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

6.25.2012

So that's why my unlocked HTC Desire sucks on AT&T network

Today I spent quite some time, and finally figure out how to make the iPad microSIM works in my HTC Desire mobile phone.  It's actually way easier than I expected.  All you need to do is set up these under [Wireless & Network] setting, and under [Mobile Networks], create a new entry under "Access Point Names":

Name: AT&T Data (or whatever you want)
APN: Broadband
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: None

Now simply select that "AT&T Data" access point name, and that's it.

I found that on my phone, it's better to reboot the phone to make the setting finally sink in.

So I few things special to my phone:



  • Since I am using AT&T network, so under Network Preference, I should choose "GSM only".  The W-CDMA is irrelevant to me.
  • I don't think "Network Operators" matter to my case.  BUt it's ok to get into, let the system sense the right one, and the reboot.

But then, the hard reality sink in: the phone seems to be ALWAYS running under GPRS and speed was horrible.  It took forever to download just 4Mb of data.  I was puzzled, because I heard that there are other people using HTC Desire on AT&T network.


And finally this post hit the core problem: even though the voice data is operate in a frequency range that my HTC Desire support, the 3G data network doesn't.  This one explain stuff by number:  For 2G network, the phone support the "GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900" range.  But for 3G network, the international version only support "HSDPA 900 / 2100", while the north America version support "HSDPA 850 / 1900".  That totally explain why I can get connection, but yet the data connection is in 2G quality.

So how the hell can I find phones in HK (heaven of unlocked phone) that support 3G network i n "HSDPA 850 / 1900" range?  I don't know.  BUt there's one phone I know for sure that will work: iPhone.  Damn, so maybe that's what I should go for?

I also read this, and this, and this, and this ....  but damn, all hope lost.  Seems like getting an unlocked iPhone is my only back of having a powerful pocket size WiFi device that allows me to reuse the AT&T microSim for my iPad.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home