Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

6.06.2012

Eee Slate with Windows RC: I want to love and use you, but I don't

With so much hype happening during Computex 2012 related to touch supported hardware for Windows 8, it's hard not to get excited about the possibility of using these WindowsRT tablet instead of iOS or Android based tablet.  Yet, the experience of using EeeSlate with Windows 8 RC as my primary daily use tablet didn't give me the confidence that Microsoft hoped Win8 RC would.

To me, as for now, the biggest deal breaker is the failing on Windows Media Center and lack of Traditional Chinese handwriting input for the device.  Those 2 are my main use case, and they both failed on the current build.  My iPad doesn't do Windows Media Center extender, but at least there's enough media play back apps that makes the experience more acceptable.

Nevertheless, Microsoft is heading toward the right direction, and I hope that eventually they will solve these problems. or eventually I will buy another hardware that doesn't have these problems anymore.