Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.08.2011

Dell Precision M6500 and Disk Director / TrueImage

I have a habit of keeping a disk image of the system I have so that if something really go south, instead of relying on the IT people which may take several days before I can get my machine back, I can restore the partition by myself.  Since I am getting a new Dell Precision M6500 machine so once again I am doing partition back up.  I realized that M6500 has problem running the Full version of Disk Director and TrueImage (both version 11 and version 10), so I have to stick with Safe mode.

The process is actually pretty simple.  First I booted up the selfboot Acronis CD, select Disk Director 10 Safe Mode, shrink the drive D until I get 200Gb of space, then I create a new E drive partition with 200Gb of space.  Then booted to True Image 10 and back up both the C and D drive to an image on the E drive.  That's about it.

Now I even have freedom to create another boot partition with whatever crazy OS I like.