Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

3.16.2008

A night and day of hunting comics

This story started yesterday when I was at Border reading some anime magazine, and found some attractive excerpt of a Japanese comics called "Dragon Sister". So when I get back home I did a search and found that the comics is actaully called 三國志 百花繚亂. I found a site that link to the online books, but that seems to lead to a dead end. More search and another deadend. And that stirred up my interest in actually spend time to find it.

And then I found a strange link called Zpoo. Basically it allows you to rip a whole album from http://photo.163.com/ by:

  • Entering the username for the album.
  • A link will be generated. That link will actually link to a page with all the hyperlinks of all photos in the album.
  • You copy and paste that whole batch of link in FlashGet

And that's how to rip all the photos from a 163 photo album. The service is mainly for ripping comics posted on that site, and I haven't try it on other album.

This, at first glance, sounds like a great idea. I saw this page with comics like 三國志百花繚亂 and 鸚鵡. So I tried it and found a few problems:

  • The comics page you ripped DOES NOT have proper page order, so reading the comics become ultra painful.
  • The 163 site seems to have some protection, and I have to install the latest version of FlashGet in a VMWare environment (No way will I populate my main desktop) and set the download thread to be one at a time.
  • And even with that sort of setting I still have to constantly monitor the downloading, and make sure that the thread was not stuck at certain spot.
And then I was thinking of trying my faithful Japanese comics source 閒人動漫, that did not work in my case for I couldn't find the comics that I was looking for.

But then I came cross ouou.com and found the 鸚鵡 comics that I was looking for, plus the site is reasonably Teleport friendly (meaning that I need to run it again after it stopped once in a while). Still it has the same problem: the pages are not properly ordered, so I need to rely on the web page as reference in order to read it.

The jackpot comes when I come across this page with tons of comics download, and I found both of the comics here, pack in nice way, host in some public hosting site.

Happy ending to me :> .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home