Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

2.25.2008

Trying to export database of my disc catalog

I am using Advanced Disk Catalog version 1.51 to catalog all my discs. While I am pretty OK with it's general performance and it's ability to handle all my disc, I always found it's search capability sort of on the weak side. Since the application allows me to export the disc catalog database content to either CSV, Access or SQL dump format, I was always thinking of exporting the database and search the content using SQL Server's search engine.

So today I was trying to exactly that, so I exported the database as a SQL Dump, found that the data file is about 350Mb. Not too bad I thought. And then I realized that the SQL Server Express on my laptop did NOT support importing SQL Dump. Only the standard version of SQL Server comes with the Integration Service. I was a bit disappointed, but then I read this blog and found out an utility that allows me to import Access database data into SQL Server. All I need is download the software below and then register in order to get a free license key.
I even download the Management Studio for SQL Server Express so that I can manipulate the database at ease.

Well, turns out Advance Disc Catalog has some issues when exporting database in MS Access format:
  • it export the database in DBF format
  • it has problem exporting to Access database if you also export Comment since the file size of my disc database suddenly grow into more than 2 Gb.
I solved the problem by NOT exporting comment. Now the file size is about 350Mb, which is about right.

But somehow the Access to SQL Server conversion software still has problem converting this .dbf file into SQL Server.

So as of now, I am settling with just leaving it as Access database, and simply write SQL to access the data under Visual Studio 2008.

By the way, I was also surprise that Microsoft Access 2007 is such a totally different animal than what I used to know. Pretty scary when I attempted to use it, and I really hope that I can just use the old interface instead of the new one.