Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.02.2008

At least I got XP Installed on my Lenovo Tablet PC

I still don't get the Firewire Solo working with my desktop machine, but at least I figured out how to install XP on Tablet PC.

The most important trick is actually the most simply one, and it was so strange that after searching and searching for months, the answer was found in this Japanese web site. Here's the simple procedure to prevent the blue screen of death with "0x0000007B" message:

  • During bootup of Lenovo x60t, press [F1] to get to the BIOS Setup Utility
  • Select [Config]
  • Select [Serial ATA (SATA)]
  • The default value is ... something (sorry, forgot), but you need to choose the other one, "Compatibility".
That's it. Once you reboot using your external USB CDRom Driver, you won't see blue screen of death. You can now continue doing XP installation.

Some tidbit I learned along the way:
  • You need to first Install XP and then Install Vista in order to enable dual boot between XP and Vista. I learned it the hard way because my machine was preloaded Vista, and even though I was able to install XP, once I re-enabled Vista, the XP installation vanished, and I found no way to make them coexist with each other. So I have to first install XP, and then install Vista by wiping out the old installation.

  • Sometimes the machine will kind of hanging in the beginning of the boot up.

  • Even after XP was successfully installed, I still couldn't switch back the SATA setting from Compatible mode to the "A..." mode. Well, more test undergoing ...

  • The Windows XP Tablet 2005 VLK disc that I downloaded from MSDN Subscription site asking for a VLK key. And later I found out that regular WinXP VLK key would work. Seems like "Tablet version" isn't any specifically at all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Andy M. - Boston said...

Found your post via Google search "Lenovo 0x0000007B"
Just wanted to give you a Thumbs Up! cause it helped me out and got me past the BSD! =)

11:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home