Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

5.26.2007

How to backup my Nokia 5300 phone without polluting my primary OS

It's pretty hard to maintain a responsive and usable Windows operating system. Every time you install new driver and such in the operating system, it can potentially render the OS into useless due to some unconceivable driver conflict. That's why I always try to avoid install application directly in my primary operating system, and instead install these software in a VMWare OS.

This turns out to be a perfect way to let my new Nokia 5300 connect to my computer, and conduct the following tasks:

- Backup the phone memory
- Synchronize Outlook with my phone
- Update phone directory

Before I can do this, I need to first install Nokia PC Suite on my desktop. Once done, with VMWare still in focus, I can connect my phone to my PC using regular USB cable. The VMWare OS will pickup the existence of the phone and start setting up drivers. It will take a while for the first time but eventually all drivers will be setup and I will be ready to have some fun.

And then for daily synchronization, as long as I do the following, the whole process will be smooth:
- Make sure that VMWare is in FOCUS (at least until the VMWare OS recognize the Nokia 5300)
- Connect Nokia 5300 through USB Cable
- VMWare will pickup the existence of the phone. And that's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home