Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

10.08.2005

Finally installed Vista Beta 2. Not impressed.

I finally got Vista Beta 2 installed on my home machine. I am so glad that I preserved my original desktop OS using Acronis TrueImage (more about this later).

The installation was going pretty OK as I installed it as the first partition of my harddisk. Seems like I can only have one primary partition on my desktop. And I already sort of accepted the fact. So my only way to swap between different OS is by using Acronis TrueImage to load or save image. Oh well, at least there's a way to do so.

Back to Vista. After the installation I didn't get sound. So I have to let the System serach the Sound driver. I forget whether the driver was found in the drive disk of my ASUS motherboard disc or, but at least I have the sound working.

Then I found that the system was horribly slow. So I set the performance to best performance. All the gmmick UI suddenly gone, and at the same time the system becomes very fast. Obviously, the stupid UI effect drain the performance. I adjust the setting so that I see SOME of the fancy UI effect but not all.

AFter played it a while, I found nothing that really kept me from using it. So I saved a TrueIMage image, and switched back to my old OS.

UNless they improve the sluggish UI, no way I will use Windows Vista.

Oh, my Acronis TrueImage Server 8.0 boot disc was stuck at some point and bitching about some USB error. However, after patiently waited for about a few minutes, the application eventually comes up. The same problem happens when I start up from Windows. So I am going to install Acronis TrueImage 9.0 and see if it works better.

I found out that the Partition Magic 8.0 boot disc and Acronis TrueImage boot disc really is a life saver. Without them, reinstalling OS will become much bigger a pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home