Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.28.2005

Not Gonna buy the DELL for HK$3199

The deal seems to be too good to be true: for HK$3199, you get a Pocket PC with great performance, VGA Graphic resolution, Bluetooth and WiFi support, great video play back ability and many more. That’s exactly what I was thinking when I saw this deal from Dell Hong Kong web site


DellTM Axim X50v 624MHZ

However, after spending 2 hours to study reviews and information from all sort of web sites, I decided not to get this product for several reasons:

(1) I already have a very capable Sony Clie PDA NX70V. Sure it’s not the latest and greatest, but it pretty much does everything I throw at it fine. There’s really not a need to buy another PDA.
(2) I hate the Windows CE OS interface. I will use it only because of the capability it provides, like using Remote Desktop client, or Flash 6 player. But I really have a need for those features. They are nice to have, but not essential
(3) Conversion still involved if I need to play video on the X50v. It’s fast. No doubt, but a lot of the video that I have still required conversion in order to play correctly o the X50v. If I cannot save my time and ease my mind with zero conversion effort, then why spending $3000+ on something?
(4) Carrying and maintaining another gear is not a enjoyable thing. It’s fun when playing it, but it adds another load on my bed, and I really don’t want to use PocketPC for my daily organizer need.
(5) Battery life on X50v is really not good based on what I read from all the review sites. That’s a big big minus.
(6) A dedicated potable video player with a hard disk satisfy my need much better. I am hungry for watch tons of video on the road more than the ability to change some Excel spreadsheet.

So there you have it. My list of not spending that HK$3199.

On the other hand, I found these great Pocket PC info sites along the way. They are all worth checking out.

Hong Kong Pocket PC Discussion Group
Aximsite – DELL Axim Pocket PC discussion group

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home