Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

11.05.2004

Another reason to use Firefox

I just found another reason to use Firefox, but that maybe because I saved a lot of web pages using FireFox. I couldn't help but doing so with FireFox because tapbrowsing makes it so much easier to download whole bunch of web pages.

Here's what happened. I went to a mainland China web site and found a lot of good web page about dance. So I downloaded a lot of them using Firefox and save the files with Traditional Chinese character as the file name (so that I can search the content as ease). To make sure that I can archive these files, I burned them on a CDRW disc, copy them on another machine, and reopen these web pages. I have no problem opening those files back using FireFox on another machine as long as I have the "Language for non-Unicode programs" set to any Traditional Chinese, but IE have them web page opened without all the embedded image.

Strange.


I converted more videos to watch on the road using the new Clie video converter, and found a funky audio behavior. The 2 episodes of Ghost in the machine I converted my desktop does not have any audio at all. Later I found out that it's just that some AV codec on my desktop was messed up, as the same conversion went fine on my laptop. So next time before I convert a video, I should watch a little bit of it to make sure that the audio and video were being played properly because I start the conversion, for the conversion will fail if the video file cannot play properly on the computer in the first place.



Some of you may know that Mcafee VirusScan has problem with system that used non-Unicode double byte characters in filename. McSheild will failed, throw a NT Access error. To counter this problem, I just set my laptop so that whenever McShield service encounters problem it will restart itself. Let me check back later to see if this can work around the problem.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home