Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

10.29.2004

My Compaq 1720US laptop was given me a ��blue screen of death�� every once in a while theses days, and was happening just a few minutes ago. Here��s what was shown on the screen:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Being annoyed by it, I checked the Net and found two sites that provide related information:

http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4192

Usually after a few reboot, boot partition will be rendered to death and I have to restore the partition.

Here��s the more detail description about the problem:

Stop 0x00000077 or KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
This error can be caused by defective memory, a malfunctioning HD, an improperly configured disk controller or cable, corrupted data, or a virus infection when an attempt was made to read kernel data from virtual memory and failed to find the data at the memory address.

Given I know the fact that my hard disk has a lot of bad sector, I won��t be surprise that the problem is partly caused by the bad sector. But I am also a bit worry that it was something deeper than that, and being hesitate to spend any money to fix this old machine. On the top of that, I was always planning to by a Tablet PC, so that may be my best excuse to get the tablet PC dreamed of.

And then I found that I am not the only who has this problem on a Compaq Presario laptop!

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21028965.html

This is a Compaq Presario laptop running XP Home edition. Safe mode stops on AGP440.SYS. I am on the road today and do not have any XP CD's etc... I did find a knowledge base article that says I can disable AGP440.SYS using recovery console and my XP CD.

Man, I have too many problems with this Compaq crap. Great, another brand to rule out when I buy a new laptop computer.

Here��s another big list of people having the same problem as mine:

http://www.newbie.org/help/messages/8409.html

No one seems to be able to find a simple way to diagnose the problem. This is really not good, because it simply means that there��s no way that I will do any important stuff that that laptop, knowing that ��I don��t know when�� or ��I don��t know how�� this machine will reboot on my without any particular reason at all.

I am now creating a partition for laptop away from the previous partition. Let��s see if it does a better job this time.

Because computer can get so messed up so easily, I think I should really think about getting a dedicated Portable Video Player instead of a Tablet PC being doubled as a video player.

Well, who am I kidding, the weight on my backpack in already getting to the ridiculous level. I think I really should reconsider my plan on getting a PVP�K..

And on the top of these mess, a construction is going on outside my home. Man, the noise drove me nuts.

And as if I don��t have enough problem, stupid error kept popping up, saying ��NT On-Access Scanner��.

Here��s the solution:

http://ecusthelp.mcafee.com/cgi-bin/ecust.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid
=Jy1lnpRg&p_lva=&p_faqid=1483&p_created=1033402872&%20p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29y
dD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI0MCZwX3NlYXJja#PC-cillin

This article addresses the "NT On Access Scanner service" error message. It can appear after installing VirusScan Online and starting up your computer.

Do the following:

1. Uninstall PC-cillin.

2. If PC-cillin is not installed, edit the registry.

3. Reinstall VirusScan Online.

Edit the Registry

1. Click Start.

2. Click Run.

3. Type regedit

4. Click OK.

5. The Registry Editor appears. Click the + next to each of the following:

�E HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
�E Software
�E Network Associates
�E TVD
�E Shared Components

6. Right-click the On Access Scanner folder.

7. Click Delete.

8. Click Yes to the confirmation.

9. Restart the computer.

So much mess in PC world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home