Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.04.2015

Fixing Lenovo X60T

My ThinkPad X60T was in the closet pending to be fixed for almost a year because of a problem: when I tried to start it up, the fan will tried to spin up a bit, but eventually stopped, and resulting a "Fan Error" message on the screen while the system eventually shut down.

I wasn't even thinking about it until today when I do my annual closet cleaning, and was decided to throw it away because it thought it probably wouldn't worthy of spending time to resurrect it.

However, somehow I felt like I should give it a try.  So I searched online and found that others have the same situation as I did.  It didn't provide me the answer, but it inspired me to keep looking, and then I found this site that talked about how to disassemble X60T.  I did and found that the fan indeed tried to spin but then stopped.

There's no way I will buy a new part to replace it, but maybe some WD40 can do the magic?  So I tried, and sure enough, the problem is now totally gone.  The only thing I need to do now is to leave the machine alone for a while and clean up the excessively applied WD40.  But at least now I have a spear laptop that I can use instead of having it thrown away.