Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.09.2012

Running Dreamcast on MacMini

Now that I have Playstation (One) running on my MacMini (in Windows 7), my next question is: how about Dreamcast, and thus started my journey of trying to find a way to run Dreamcast emulator.

First I need to find an emulator.  Judge by what I read, Makaron is the first one I found, so I grabbed that.  The next challenge is to find the BIOS and Flash file.  Eventually I found them, and then I read this tutorial, tired and tried, and couldn't get it work.

So I moved on and try another one.  DCNull seems to be the only one that's still actively updating. At first I accidentally used to nullDC_NAOMI_104_r136, which is actually for NAOMI Sega Motherboard.  Once again use the right version, which is nullDC_104_r136.7z , I was able to boot up.  I then follow this tutorial, and found that things are still not very clear.

And then I came cross this, and finally got the big picture and resolved the problem.  Turns out the trickiest part is to make sure that you properly rip the Dreamcast disc.  And the way that make it work is by using DiscJuggler.  The trial version should be good enough, since you don't use it to burn disc but rather simply use it to create .cdi disk image file.  MAKE SURE when you asked "do you want to fix the disc .." you say NO, otherwise the generated.cdi disk won't work.

However, I still haven't figured out how to make those disc that use "Boot Disc" to work, but then I already wasted enough time today, so ... maybe later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home