Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

9.02.2007

Strange DVDR burning

When you burned something on a DVDR disc, of course you want to burned content of your DVD Disc to be exactly the same as the original so that you can reuse the content in the future. Yet I experienced the following strange situation.

I had a 7Gb DV video file that I try to achieve. I chopped the file into two parts using Winrar, and the Winrar comparison part works pretty well. Then I burned the disc on a DVDR, and Nero reported that file verification is OK. In fact I used a binary file comparison tools and they reported that the content on the disc is the same as the original source. Yet after I copied that data file to a local hard disk, and did the binary comparison again, I found that the file on harddisk is DIFFERENT from the file on the DVDR disc!

So after several trials, including using another disc, I start to suspect that there is something wrong with the harddisk that I was copying the file to. The fact that the file is a USB external harddisk makes me wonder if the "external USB" is part of the (or whole) reason why a file on a harddisk which copied from a DVDR disc can be different from the source file on the DVDR disc.

In fact, I tried copying file to a disc at local harddisk, and the file was successfully copied with identical size.

So now I need to figure out which aspect of the drive caused the problem:
  • As being a harddisk in an USB 2.0 enclosure.
  • As a EIDE harddisk
  • Just the harddisk itself screw up.
Publish Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home