Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

9.13.2007

Curse you VMWare

It spent me a whole night, all because VMWare failed to do a good job at cleaning up it's own installation.

It happened last night when I tried to install VMWare Workstation 6 on my desktop. The installation was halted in the middle seemingly because ZoneAlarm prohibit VMWare to install certain driver. I thought, no big deal since I could just quit ZoneAlarm. Well, the VMWare installation was still stuck at a certain spot and couldn't be stopped. So I thought it just took time, and I went take a nap, and the nap turned into a full 4 hours of sleeping. But when I woke, the VMWare installation still stuck at the same old spot. I have no choice but reboot the box.

After I rebooted, I found that VMWare installtion refused to excute because it said that there's another VMWare software already running and urged me to uninstall the old one. The problem was that there's no uninstaller available for me to uninstall the prematurely aborted installation. I even tried to manually clean up the system registry, and found that there's simply way too many entries to clean up all the entries. Plus, some Windows service seemsed resisted to be cleaned up.

So I guess I have no other choice but reinstall the system because of this crappy mess.

Great. Hours of installation all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home