Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.05.2006

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation problem - With a happy ending

I didn't understand why the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed to run on my friend's machin, which runs Windows XP Home edition Chinese language. Without it the system couldn't install any Windows Update in the future.

I already removed all the tools that doesn't do good job on protecting the system, like Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spyware Doctor and Symmetec SystemWork, and the WGA Still doesn't install.

I tried to find the solution from Google. Not much help except this one, but I tried download the WGA manually from that site, and still not much help. And some one said his problem machine was working after Automatic update. So I thought of just wait for a day before the automatic update kicks in.

And then came cross this page: Dignostic from Microsoft.com . Well, this one is also useless, for this is just a page to urge you to report to Microsoft if the WGA failed. Yeah right, as if it helps my current situation.

Finally I came across two pages that really saved me. First I saw this page that gives me some hints about finding some info form the log file. And sure enough I found a file in C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log that gives me some info about waht may go wrong. Later I found this article that really helped me to solve the puzzle. I following the link provided by the article, rename it to as WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe as stated in the article. Then I ran it. And then ran Windows update again. This time I got another error message saying that the download was completed but installation failed. However, when I tried to restart the machine, I got the message saying that an update is in progress, and the machine will shutdown after the installation was completed. Yep, that's the WGA installation, alright.

And after I rebooted, the WGA was installed. All is well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home