Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.03.2006

Mission: To cure a Windows XP machine from spyware without reformatting+reinstall

Whenever I have to machine to fix due to spyware and virus, I always try to cure it WITHOUT the common "Reformat and Reinstall" routine. I took it as a challenge, and I want to figure out a workflow so that I can tell others who are not as technically savvy to perform the repair themselves. I believe in power-to-the-people and don't want those scumbag spyware writer to have all their glory.

Plus I want my friends to fix the machine themselves without bugging me. (Yeah, that's the real reason.)

Here the workflow I used:
- Boot machine in safe mode. Install AVG Antivirus. Scan the machine and cure.
- Boot up the target machine using WinPE CDR disc (a WinXP OS installed on a CDR disc)
- Copy AdAware 1.6 SE Green version and Spybot Serach and destory green version to the machine to the target machine.
- Run AdAware 1.6 SE Green version. I need to set some optional configuration to make sure that it scanned thru the client's harddisks.
- Run Spybot Serach and destory green version.
- Boot machine in safe mode. Run AdAware 1.6 SE Green version and Spybot Serach and destory green version. You will find that there are some tough spyware that cannot be cured. Don't painc. Write the spyware names down.
- Run HijackThis to figure out what app keeps coming back.
- Run
Silent Runners to figure out what app keeps running in the back.
- If still no help, serach google and find the standalone apps correpodningly. And use them to cure the target machine.

However, my friend's machine was deeply troubled by the spyware Look2Me, and I cannot find any standalone tool to fix it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home