Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

9.16.2005

A lot of Xvid and Dvix video not playable by BetaPlayer

It's been more than 2 months after I got Dell x50v Pocket PC. So far the experience was pretty positive, and I wasn't regret about my purchase. Among all the activites I frequently perform with PPC, watching movie is probably the most common one. The fact that I could watch Divx and Xvid video without going through the video conversion percess, as a procedure which is oh so familar among PSP Movie watcher, makes PPC with a big solid-state memory card such a compelling mobile movie watching solution. And the ability for BetaPlayer play such large vararity of video format doesn't hurt neither.

Yet, after my initaial hype died down, I started to realize that there are still indeed a lot my xvid and divx files that cannot be played properly on my PPC. For instance, I yanked out a DVD of animation video that I downloaded from the Net more than a year ago, and found that some of the videos, like Tokyo_Godfathers.DVD(AC3-5.1), couldn't be played on my PPC using TCPMP (new name for BetaPlayer). Now I won't mind if the these Xvid files were converted reasonable, which the new codec may not be supported by TCPMP yet. But for videos that encoded more than a year ago, there seems to be less excuse for not having a appropriate codec.

Oh well, I probably cannot complain much since the TCPMP player is free. Still, one can always wish or dream about better support on freeware, right? :-S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home