Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

10.23.2012

Finally Rooted my Nexus 7, but ...

So I received the OTG USB Cable I ordered a while ago, and then realized that even with OTG USB Cable won't work with my Nexus 7 unless I rooted it. 

I've been resisting not rooting my Nexus 7 for so long, but finally, the using of thumb drive and a full backup give me enough reason to root it.  So I following the instruction here.  But it didn't work.  I tried again and again using Google Nexus 7 Toolkit 3.2.0 to install Fastboot driver, but it just didn't work (the serial didn't show up).

After being frustrated for a while, (which along the way I learned how to boot to Fastboot Mode) I tried option 3 under Fastboot Mode, which is unlock the bootloader.  Turns out that worked out fine, and I also got the device rooted.  I tried StickMount and it worked great.  All seemed well exception one thing: the device was WIPED FRESH.  That means I need to reinstall all the application!  This is fine, cause I would like a fresh start so that I can learn how to do backup properly anyway.

I also decided to ONLY rooted Nexus 7 cause I want to experience the difference between using a rooted and a non-rooted phone.  That means I will probably continue to use Nexus 7 to do all kind of crazy adventure.  That make sense since I need a stable device (my phone) daily use and a development device (one that I can try all kinds of crazy stuff during development). 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home