Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.14.2009

Finally, my EeePC 900 is all good now

It was a struggling 2 days, but finally I got my EeePC 900 setup in a way that I can totally enjoy it, works predictably, and very speedy. Here's the some notes for myself:
  • Go for Windows XP, and not Windows 7. Everything works on Windows XP, and video performance (when playing video files) is awesome. Can't say the same for Windows 7.

  • There is a simply way to combat the seemingly hanging problem, which the machine after power up has nothing on the screen, but the power button indicates that it's on. The solution: hold ESC button when you power up the machine. It will bring the machine into bootup choosing mode: Internal harddisk or SD card. Select internal harddisk, and everything works from there. This works for reboot and wake up hibernation.

  • Previously I experience problem booting up the XP because somehow during the startup sequence I have a totally messed up video screen with all the digital noise, and the machine freezed by. Turns out it's something running on startup that mess things up, and I suspected that it's the eeePC performance tuning thing, so I turned it off. So far I haven't experienced freezing again. Notice that Eee Tray Util and the EeePC ACPI are FINE. I need them to turn on/off webcam and Wifi.

  • Seems like Wifi and Webcam are NOT the cause of any bootup problem. I left them on (well, at least the Wifi on) and everything seems very a-OK after bootup from standby or hibernation.

  • Previously I encountered problem when using Movie Maker to capture webcam video. When I use the default setting, the video will work fine but the speed was all screwed by. I resolved the problem by capturing the video in Pocket PC format. The speed now seems OK, and the result file size seems to be very small.

  • I don't know if leaving the BIOS with both fast start up option OFF has anything to do with my problem(s) fixed, but since it works now, I'll probably just it as it is as of now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home