Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

4.14.2009

Continue dealing with Eee PC 900 under Windows 7

Seems like the system hanging problem does not happen when my machine is NOT powered by AC. That's good.

OK, after some experiments, I found the following:
  • Windows 7 is still too unstable and slow for the stuff that I want to use with my NetBook, like video playing and such.
  • Sometimes after waking up form Hibernation, the system will suddenly turn very very sluggish.
I finally got feed up with the Windows 7, so I go back to the Windows XP partition I created back in months ago. This time, however, I found out something interesting.
  • Waking up from hibrination in Windows XP is still not bullet prove, but at least I can tap F7 or F1 or F2 to get it out of the idle mode, eventually I will be able to reboot the machine and back form resume. However, I still got a messy screen.
  • Funny how, though, waking up from Stand by seems very reliable (so far). In fact I don't have to specifically turn off WiFi, and everything still work fine so far after waking up form StandBy.
  • So far I haven't tried turning on the webcam yet. Seriously, as long as video playback is fine.
  • Startup by pressing the ESC button seems to be able to by pass the horrible idling screen.
  • Starting up with both WiFi and Camera off seems to make bootup less messy, but then I think it's more to do with some of the items loaded during startup ... need to investigate more.
So now at least I have a useful fast XP machine, and the most important thing I need to remember is always use StandBy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home