Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

2.01.2009

Windows 7 on Lenovo X60T: First impression

After Vista, I was pretty much gave up on any Windows OS update. After hearing so many good stuff about Windows 7, though, I decided to give Windows 7 Beta 7 a try. After all, worst come to worst, I can restore my stable and reliable XP OS from the TrueImage 10 image I made.

My first hiccup was on the installation disc. The original installation disc I made was not readable by my external USB harddisk. However, buring a new disc using DVDRW solved the problem.

Then installation went OK smooth. Once done, I followed the instruction listed here to download all the essential files from Lenovo, did Windows update, and at the end got all the driver installed.

A few things I experienced:
  • AVG Free Antivirus works a-ok
  • The SD card reader seem to have some problem. It always have problem reading and writing stuff to and from the card properly.
  • Both DAEMON Tools and Virtual Clone Drive failed on Windows 7. I have to extrack files directly from the ISO using Daemon Tools on another machine instead.
  • Setup with Launcher have problem. I have to explictly run it.
  • Found out that in order to add Japanese and Chinese handwriting recognition, I have to go thru these funky steps. Really don't understand why can't they put them in MSDN Library download, but the hack at least there is a way. They seem to work great.
  • Chinese and Japanese fonts look very good of Windows 7.