Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

11.05.2006

Stress test microSD card and (once again) the Motorola E398 phone

After making sure that the M3 Lite is running, now it's the turn to stress test the KingMax 512Mb microSD card to make sure that it work as expected.

In fact, I went all the way to test my Motorola E398 phone too. I put GBA Roms with Instant Save on the 16Mb microSD card and then use it with M3 Lite, while added some MP3 files to the new 512Mb microSD card and put them in my Mobile phone.

The result?

The 512Mb microSD card seems to be holding pretty well. I did quite some scandisk and copy files and it performed as I expected.

16Mb microSD card works very well with M3Lite. There's no problem at all. Instant Save and Load worked very well. No slow down and what so ever.

512Mb microSD also works with the phone. The phone can access the card properly. But then since the phone sucks, so:
- E398 cannot open JPEG with size bigger than .. well, at least it cannot open my 110K JPEG. It can only open those lame lust 20K JPEG.
- MP3 playback also sucked big time. It has no problem opening those 64Kps podcase like Security Now. But when it played those 192kps MP3 files it continuously skipping, and when playing the 320kps file it simply blows and the audio playback application simply quit. The other people on the Net seemed to have better experience than I do. So maybe it's part of the firmware's problem. And to be fair, I also tried some other 192kps songs like Beatles' "Let It Be" and it worked fine. So I guess if I really want to play MP3 on the E398, I better recompile the files. And actually, comparing with the NDS, the E398 is actually a little loud playback device if playing thru the speaker. Maybe I should use my E398 more at my dance practice. For listening to music ... Nahhh ... I hate wasting time to reconvert files and create playlist whenever I need to listen to a set of songs.


If one day, just one day, that I ran out of things to do, I may use the following links for iTune feature. But the way I see it, the E398 is just a piece of junk.

- Force reboot E398 (In case you really screw up your E398 hack)
- Complete E398 to iTune phone hack guide (really awesome one)
- Motorola E398 Wikipedia page