Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

11.01.2006

Found a way to download email at work, but ....

I was originally very happy about the finding a way to download email to Thunderbird 1.5 at workplace, which is being blocked by proxy. Here's the procedure.

Installed all the following extensions:
- web-mail-1-0-13.xpi
- gmail-0-5-4.xpi
- yahoo-1-1-7.xpi
- hotmail-1-0-10.xpi

Now either add new account (be it gmail, yahoo or hotmail), or modify my original gmail account as the following:
- set Server Name "localhost"
- set port to 110
- User Name as full email address, like "thisisgood@gmail.com"
- (o)Never for "Use secure Connection
- [ ]User secure authentication <-- don;t check it.

And boom, I got the message downloaded on my Thunderbird.

Advantages:
- If I use Gmail's direct Popmail access, when the download was not completed it will get stucked, and abort. The worst part is part the message I already downloaded will STAY in the inbox! So next time when I download mail, I will have to download all those mail again. This Extension does NOT have that problem

Disadvantage:
It seems like that the email downloaded thru WebMail plug-in was REMOVED from Gmail completely, and I could no longer search it. Honestly, this is NOT what I want. Guess I need to find a way to work around this.


Reference:
http://webmail.mozdev.org/setup.html



I also found out that sometime a "bad email" can cause the POPmail downloading failed to work. I have to manually go to the popmail account to detail these mails. Very strange.