Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.21.2006

When packing super huge file, use Winrar and "Store" setting

Once again, I learned something new today.

I was trying to backup a huge .dmg file (Mac disc image file) with 6.4 Gb. Since I am too cheap to shellout HK$38 for for Dual Layer DVDR disc. So I need to chop the big file into little pieces.

At first I used Winrar default setting to compress the file into several parts, and it was super ultra slow. Then I realized that I don't really need to compress. All I need to chop the big file into piece.

So under WinRAR archieve setting, I set:
- Compression method = Store
- Split to volumes, bytes = 100,000,000
- Archieve format = RAR

And I got all my 100Mb parts blazingly fast done, and doesn't slow down my machine way too much during the process too (although there's still some performance impact).

Nice to learn something new everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home