Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

12.15.2003

I have two computers at home: a desktop computer and a notebook computer. They work as a team in order provides their master (a.k.a. me) the best service, as neither of them is flawless. For instance, the read capability of the CD-ROM in my desktop cannot read a lot of discs which it could read a year ago. (Funny how the write capability seem to be fine so far) Thus I have to share the laptop CD-ROM in my laptop in case there are discs that I need but failed to be read by my desktop CDROM. My laptop, on the other hand, doesn't have a workable battery (will talk about it later), and doesn't have enough hard disk space, so it rely on the shared hard disk on my desktop as the secondary storage, so that whenever the laptop hard disk is full, or need a lot of empty space to do works like sound editing, I can temporary move a lot of files from my laptop to my desktop.

Sure, I can buy a bigger hard disk for my laptop, and I can buy a better CDR Drive for my desktop (or even a new DVD+-RW drive) to fix the problems once in for all. However, besides being a cheap bastard, I am also using my computer network as a remind to myself that brothers and sisters in Christ are not perfect, but if we can united and work together, accommodating each other's strength and weakness, we can accomplish great work.

(Honestly, the most important reason is still the fact that I am cheap and not willing to spend a nickel on shit.)

Did I mention my laptop has a dead battery? I called HP HK Customer Support Center, and figured out that it will cost me $1180 to buy a new battery for my laptop, and I will take 3 to 4 working days to order the battery. Being a money conscious cheap bastard, I started to evaluate my need and figure out that I don't really NEED a laptop. I brought the laptop back then because I thought I will stay in Hong Kong for little more than one year and then back to US, and getting a laptop was such an obvious solution for my mobile computing need. Since I know that I will be stuck in Hong Kong for a while, I better off invest on my desktop instead. So as for now, my decision is not getting the battery until the day I find the need to go mobile again. And darn, I probably won't be able to buy the battery for my laptop as it has been outdated. Besides, laptop battery is like a bad second hand car, which it depreciates even when you don't use it at all and just leaving it sitting aside.

In fact, I sure don't know why my original battery died as it showed no sigh and no symptom before it died. It's just that it stopped being charged, and within a few days, it's dead. Man, like a marriage go bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home