Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

1.07.2010

Not all harddisk enclosures are created equal

Even with the exact same specification, some hard disk enclosures are sure better than the other.

I brought this 3.5 inch hard disk enclosure from Hong Kong, and this piece of crap simply pisses me off. It has some sort of generic "Hi-Speed" label on the silver case, but basically it's a USB 2.0 (no eSATA) external hard disk enclosure. However, once I used it for a while I started to find out stuff that is crappy about this enclosure.

I used to use it as Z: drive on my netbook (EeePC 900) so that I could use it as sort of a NAS. However, this darn thing would, when frequently accessed either by accessing tons of file from it or use it as a BT temp drive, would hang up. The enclosure light would stay red, and the machine that hosted it would got hung. I had to turn the drive off and on in order to get rid of the red light and released the hosting machine.

I strongly believe that the problem is on the enclosure and not the 1Tb hard disk that it hosted. But I can't prove it anymore since the 1Tb was tossed in an accident 2 days ago. Sigh.

Also this enclosure will emit anonying interference when used as a Wii external hard disk. I tried another hard disk enclosure with the SAME 500Mb Hard disk, and I didn't experience the problem. The it's definitely the "Hi Speed" hard disk enclosure that screwed thing up.

I will probably never buy hard disk enclosure from Hong Kong anymore.