Computer Knowledge. Gadget. Anime. Design. Dance. Hong Kong Life. Stuff like that.

11.17.2005

Either eBlue 8x DVD+R sucks, or my LG DVD Recorder started failing

These days I was being frustrated by the hardware I have at home. Specifically, the hard disk and the DVDRecorders.

First the hard disk. My Q Drive is on a Serial ATA hard disk, and it had problem being recognize in the last one to two weeks. In fact, the system even failed to boot up because of the hard disk recognition problem. Interestingly the S.M.A.R.T. checking at the boot up time didn’t report any problem. After being diagnostic for a few days, I kind of concluded that it’s probably due to the fact that I am using a under-powered power supply yanked out from a broken AMD K6 machine. So I brought (thank for my colleague Griffin) a new 400W power supply and installed it yesterday. Hopefully the problem will not show up any more. We’ll see.

But an even bigger problem is on my LG DVD Recorder. Starting from a week ago, it started to burn BAD DVDR disc. Confidently, that was about the same time I used up my Sky DVD+R Discs and started using a new batch of eBlue DVD+R disc. So I am still not sure if it’s the problem of the new batch of eBlue DVD-R, or the LG Burner itself. But still, I used to throw whatever crap on my LG DVD Recorder, and it used to be able to take them all.

Well, I don’t want to go get a new DVD+R recorder yet. I am going to get a barrel of Sky 4x DVD+R today, and see if it works better.

By the way, the Lite-On DVD Recorder is acting strange too. It goes like this: I used the New 8x eBlue DVD+R on the LG and it failed, so I used the LiteOn with the same kind of 8x eBlue DVD+R to burn. It completed successfully. However, the LG had problem reading all the files. I brought it to work, and had the following recognition result:

[Can be Recognized] Samsung DVD Recorder – on Laptop
[Failed to recognize] NEC 3450A – on my Dell desktop
[Can be Recognized, will slightly delay] NEC 3530A DVD Recorder – on another new Dell desktop.

So in order to make sure that the disc I burn can be compatible with most DVD Drive, I think I better NOT use the LiteOn to burn stuff :-<.